General Packet Radio Service (GPRS)
What does Digicel Live allow you to do?
Digicel Live allows you to access a range of useful information and fun services directly from your GPRS enabled Digicel phone. The GPRS Frequently Asked Questions (Click Here) contains a list of compatible GPRS phones.
Picture Messaging enables you to send pictures, sound and text from your Digicel camera phone to your friends Digicel Mobile or email address. What exactly can you do?
You will be able to send and receive pictures messages in minutes
You don't have to use a computer anymore to send and receive pictures
Text messaging will no longer be limited to 160 characters
You can also include text, a sound file or both along with the image so you can share the whole experience with friends What will you need to use Picture Messaging or MMS?
A Digicel mobile phone with an integrated camera or attachment or a camera attachment
You must ring Digicel customer care on 100 and get provisioned on the new services What is GPRS?
The General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) is a new value added service offered by Digicel that allows information to be sent and received across a mobile telephone network. Digicel’s GPRS solution brings a range of new services and content to subscribers. Basically, this technology enables us to offer you certain services through your phone like surfing the Internet & sending pictures.
Can I Browse the Internet?
The Internet is comprised of millions of pages that are made in a particular way so that they can be viewed on a computer. Because of the size of a screen on a mobile phone it is not possible to view the exact same pages – it’s simply too small! Instead, many internet sites use a technology called WAP which makes their site easier to access and view on a mobile phone screen. Your Digicel GPRS enabled mobile phone can be used to access any of these sites that use WAP technology.
How do I know where to find these WAP sites?
It’s sometimes hard to know what sites are WAP and what their address is. To make it easier we’ve constructed Digicel Live. This site contains lots of information, applications, downloads and links to other sites. When you activate your GPRS service this site should be your homepage and you can simply click on the different options to get to where you want to go.
So what’s in Digicel Live?
We’ve organized our content under a number of different headings to make it easier for you to navigate through. When you reach the Digicel Live hompage you should see the following options:
- What’s New
- Fun Stuff
This category will give you direct links to some of our new services, information on Digicel products, and pretty much any new stuff we have going on.
This area contains a selection of fun applications and information. Theses include:
digiBiorhythms – this fun application calculates your current physical, emotional, and intellectual well-being. Based on your date of birth you can see a graphical presentation of your biorhythm levels.
digiCupid – Do you really know yourself? Check out our fun personality tests and you might just learn something new about yourself.
digiGreetings - send and receive personalized greeting cards to other GPRS users.
Horoscopes – allows users to quickly and easily check their horoscopes for the day.
Jokes – joke of the day, bar jokes, kids jokes. The Digicel Joke site provides access to a range of constantly updated jokes.
Currently in our games area you’ll find:
digiGoal - a mobile football game based on penalty shooting. Register to play against other players. Take 5 shots and select 5 defensive moves then let the shot out begin!
digiSlotmachine - brings all the fun of a Vegas slot machine to your mobile phone, a must for one-armed bandit lovers.
In our downloads section you will find a range of cool polyphonic ringtones and games for you to download to your mobile. Most of our Java games are arcade type games and have full colour and sound. Please note however that only Java capable phones will be able to access and download Java Games.
If you get a message that reads “There is no content available for this terminal” it means that your phone is not Java capable and cannot be used for Java game playing. For a list of Java capable handsets please click here.
A range of constantly updated local and international sports information is available here. This includes soccer coverage, news and results as well as local and international cricket news and results.
In addition you can also jump directly to the BBC’s sports site and get all the latest on UK and world sports.
This section provide updates on local cinema listings, events and entertainments guides. In addition you can view MTV’s weekly Top 10 listings.
Missed the papers this morning? Don’t worry; you can still catch Bon Dia and Diario on a daily basis, as well as international news.
Lotto results, cinema listings, sports news and scores, football, events and jokes … if it’s information you are looking for – you’ll find it here.
For direct links to other sites off the Digicel Live portal check here. You can access Yahoo’s WAP site but just remember that you need to have already registered via the web if you want to access these services
It is important to remember that only GPRS capable phones can use these services. For more information on the range of phones that are GPRS capable please click here.
Additionally if you want to wirelessly connect to the Internet from your laptop we can help you do this also. For more information on using GPRS with your laptop please see MobileWeb.
Other sites you can access from your phone
- AltaVista - Everything from news, weather, and horoscopes to movie listings for theatres in your area. (http://www.altavista.com)
- Backflip - Create a searchable list of WAP sites that are accessible from your phone. (http://mobile.backflip.com)
- Google - Translates the traditional HTML sites in search results to VML. (http://wap.google.com)
- MSN Mobile - Includes email, yellow pages, finance, travel, and news. (http://mobile.msn.com)
- Yahoo! - Provides personalized services including email, calendar, address book, finance, weather, news, and sports. (http://www.yahoo.com)
Additional Conditions Digicel Data ServicesNew Millenium Telecom Services N.V.
1. GeneralThese “Additional Conditions Digicel Data Services” (hereafter referred to as “Conditions” are applicable to the agreement between the Subscriber and NMTS with regard to the delivery of Data Services, such as for example, but not limited to, the Services Digicel Live and Digicel Mobile Web, by NMTS to the Subscriber, in addition to the relevant general Terms and Conditions to the Agreement (prepaid or contract) that also remain fully applicable. In case of conflict between the relevant general Terms and Conditions and these Conditions, these Conditions will prevail. NMTS is entitled to change these Conditions and the tariffs during the course of the Agreement with the Subscriber.
2. Definitionsa. Internet: a world-wide network of computer networks, computers, databases, telecommunication networks and other resources. b. User: the Subscriber and/or end users under its account who are bound by these Specific Conditions.c. Connection Point: any technical means to access the Data Services as provided by NMTS to User.d. Data Services: the additional services, such as Digicel Live, Digicel Mobile Web and others, whereby Digicel provides to User using an appropriate Connection Point, with the capability to query, receive, send, organise, collect, exchange or otherwise process or edit, information through the Digicel Live site and/or the internet, and/or MMS-messages, e-mail and/or other data. The transport to the User is based on the Digicel Mobile Service. e. MMS: Multimedia Messaging Service.f. Connection Type: type of Digicel Mobile Service, such as prepaid or contract-based service.g. Subscriber, NMTS, Agreement, and Digicel Mobile Service: as described in article 1 of the general Terms and Conditions (prepaid or contract-based).
3. ActivationThe Data Services to which these Conditions apply, are only available in combination with the Connection Types and Connection Points as set and specified by NMTS. Access to the Data Services requires prior separate registration of User, in accordance with the NMTS’ instructions, and is subject to acceptance of this registration by NMTS. NMTS reserves the right not to accept a registration, for instance in case the registration data are incomplete or incorrect. The Data Services may only be used by the User. In addition to the general Terms and Conditions, an Agreement comes into force when User’s registration is accepted as described above. By registering the User acknowledges and agrees with the applicable tariffs for the particular Data Services, the general technical characteristics, and these Conditions.
4. Modification and terminationNMTS reserves the right to alter and/or cancel offered Data Services after giving prior notice to the User. This notification may be done, among others, by SMS messaging or on the Digicel web site. NMTS is entitles to terminate the Agreement in full or partially, without giving prior notice, in case of default by the User. The Agreement relating to the Data Services is terminated in any case at the termination of the Agreement between NMTS and Subscriber.
5. Use of the Data ServicesAlthough NMTS undertakes to attain the highest possible level of availability of the Data Services, NMTS explicitly does not guarantee uninterrupted or unhindered availability of the Data Services.The User is obliged to abide by reasonable instructions given by NMTS with regards to the use of the Data Services, such as, for instance, limitations in case of excessive bandwidth use. The User undertakes to dispose of well-functioning hard- and software required to operate the Data Services.NMTS does not guarantee in any way, and is not in any way liable, for the contents of information provided by third parties through the Internet. Links to third party Internet sites are for User information purposes only. User accepts and acknowledges explicitly that NMTS is by no means responsible for the contents or availability of third party Internet sites, nor for the using of the information or services offered on such sites by User.User is obliged to comply with the requirements that are or may become applicable with regard to the reasonable use of the Internet and/or Data Services. More in particular, the User shall not use the Data Services in a way incompatible with the law, public order and morality, and the generally applicable norms for Internet use. User agrees and acknowledges that NMTS is not obliged to monitor User’s use of the Data Services for the purpose of controlling compliance by User with the above. Nevertheless, as soon as it is informed about activities or information, or about facts or circumstances which demonstrate the illegal character or which cannot be considered improbable to have such character on beforehand, NMTS is entitled to take any permissible and/or required steps against that, without prior notice and without this leading to any liability for NMTS.Except when expressly indicated otherwise it is not allowed to use any Data Service as part of another commercial service offered by User or any third party, or to resell any Data Service.Information offered through the Data Services may be subject to intellectual property rights. User can only use this information for personal, non-commercial use in the framework of the Data Services. Using, copying and/or editing by the User of the information offered through the Data Services, outside that framework, is not permitted. User is liable for such use and will hold NMTS harmless for any third party claims for damages that these third parties could in any way claim from NMTS.
6. LiabilityNotwithstanding what is stated in the general Terms and Conditions, NMTS is not liable for:a. damage arising from not taking place, or untimely, incomplete or incorrect taking place of querying, receiving, sending, organising, collecting, exchanging and/or otherwise processing or editing of Data Services information;b. damage arising from or related to: corruption of data stored or transferred digitally or electro-magnetically; disturbing, disappearing or making public of confidential or valuable information;c. possible health risks which might arise from the use of the Data Services, and which NMTS could not foresee at the moment this Agreement was executed.User is aware of the limitations and risks of the use of the Internet, SMS and/or any other technology with which the Data Services can be used or can be delivered, as well as the risks inherent to the digital and/or electro-magnetic storage or transfer of data, in particular the loss of data and the unauthorized viewing by third parties. The User accepts that NMTS is not liable for any damages arising from the risks mentioned above.